THQ turned over their traditional Petree Hall location over to Midway this year and joined the ranks of the "Big Boys" in the main hall with one of the hottest booths at the show, and for good reason. THQ had some of the hottest titles on display including the much-anticipated Full Spectrum Warrior and and upcoming movie-based games like the Punisher, The Incredibles, The Polar Express, and plenty of Nick Toon franchise titles.
THQ also hosted one of the hottest pre-show parties of the week in downtown LA. The rave-like environment featured hot tunes, fantastic food, and plenty of demo stations, wall projections, and mini-theaters showing off their new titles.
Here is just a small selection of great new THQ games headed our way.
Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox)
The U.S. Army is the most powerful ground force in the entire world. The backbone of a ground invasion is the U.S. Army Infantry, and in the midst of combat, their skills, courage, and teamwork are put to the test.
While readiness continues to be the U.S. Army's top priority, how it goes about its business is changing. Full Spectrum Warrior is a unique test of the U.S. Army to create a training tool to reinforce Army doctrine and team effort within the troops. It is the most realistic portrayal of Infantry-level urban warfare via unique tactical action game play. Players become the Squad Leader, commanding Alpha and Bravo squads. There is potential for danger down every alley, behind every window. Hooah!
In todays world of action titles, FSW breaks all the rules by giving you complete tactical control over two four-man fire teams while leaving the actual combat to some of the most sophisticated AI you are likely to see in a video game. You can even take the game online for some intense co-op action. It's easy to see how this game was originally developed as a training tool for the military.
- Groundbreaking new game play: Squad-based tactical action is implemented through simple, intuitive interface
- Artificial Intelligence : Full Spectrum Warrior accurately simulates the actions and reactions of soldiers in an intense combat environment.
- Authentic implementation of U.S. Army doctrine as taught to the Infantry
- Multiple environments with varying conditions that affect squad effectiveness and tactics: Day and Night missions, rain, heat, wind/sandstorms.
- Rules of Engagement simulate real-world conditions and alter the difficulty level
- Squad equipment reflects real weaponry and equipment currently in use by the U.S. Army as well as near-future technology in development.
- Realistic animations for squad members: Motions for soldiers were modeled after a combat veteran who is also an active-duty Sergeant in the U.S. Army Rangers.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC)
On the afternoon of April 12 in 2006, a massive explosion shattered the Chernobyl area. The ‘Exclusion Zone’, as the area got to be known, was characterized by anomalous energy disturbances, which rendered even the most advanced form of protective suits worthless. Fearful of the consequences, the military quarantined the area to prevent unauthorized entry and reassure the local populace that the area was under control.
Almost 4 years after the initial event, expeditions can now safely traverse several kilometers deep into the Zone. Among these are the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s, assorted groups of mercenaries, poachers and thieves that enter the zone searching for artifacts and anomalous formations that are highly sought after by certain organizations and groups.
You are a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Entering the zone you hope to make your fortune, but soon you realize that your role is to discover what really happened in Chernobyl all those years ago.
- Gigantic game world of 30 square kilometers
- Free non-linear exploration with vast outdoor and indoor areas
- Constantly changing world due to unique “life simulation” AI system
- Unique weapons and impacts: gravitational weapons, psychotropic weapons, telekinesis and telepathy.
- Over 25 types of weapons and upgrades such as sights and grenade launchers.
- Non-linear story line with over 8 completely different endings
- Original creatures and their abilities: group intellect, telepathy, telekinesis and realistic communication with any sapient character
- Trade weapons, artifacts and equipment.
- Drive an array of land based vehicles – Lorries, cars and jeeps.
- Mind blowing graphics and weather effects powered by the unique X-Ray engine
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams (Xbox/PS2/GameCube/GBA)
Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams will continue following Tak on his adventures against evil. However, players will take on the role of a more experienced Tak as he goes on an epic adventure that will require him to learn all new Juju magic in order to recover the Nightmare Scepter and defeat the evil shaman, Tlaloc, once and for all.
Players will maneuver Tak as he’s armed with new Juju abilities. He will master the ancient Juju magic of the animals, allowing him to possess various creatures and turn himself into a Spirit Animal. This innovative sequel will also feature nine interactively designed linear environments and a returning cast of favorite characters, along with three brand new Juju gods and the introduction of Jibolba’s brother, JB.
Nine new Nightmare Creatures will also help to further the action. In addition, Tak will be outfitted with new Juju powered artifacts, including the powerful Dream Shaker, which affords him the power to close dream rifts.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (PC)
Ten thousand years have passed since the treasonous acts of Chaos toppled the Golden Age of mankind. Fires burn brightly throughout the galaxies, illuminating carnage and slaughter as mankind defends itself from ancient enemies. Hardened forces collide with one goal in mind, the complete extermination of their opposition. "Game of the Year" developer, Relic Entertainment, brings the world's most successful tabletop war game to the PC. Control one of four unique races in head-to-head or cooperative multiplayer action, where faith, skill, and strategy are requisites in ruling the universe.
- Cinematic quality melee and ranged combat that show battle in detail never before seen in a real-time strategy game
- Improved Resource Model that focuses action on the frontline
- 4 unique races, each with their own unique strategies
- Epic Single Player Campaign employing classic storytelling elements of treason and conspiracy
- 2-8 player Multiplayer via LAN or Internet providing endless re-playability